The monastery of St. Loukas is located on the western slopes of Mount Helicon. The monastery took its name from the monk and its founder Luke Steiriotn. This is one of the most important examples of Byzantine art and architecture in Greece, with frescoes dating from the 10th century AD and pictures painted by Michael Damasknno. The main building is an octagonal church with a dome, which houses the relics of St. Luke.
The north side is a smaller church, dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. The life of the monastery since its foundation until today identified with the history of the Greek Nation. The first two centuries of existence of the Monastic community was a source of Christian faith. During the Frankish Years, Vanifatios the Montferrat came to Central Greece, expelled the Orthodox Greeks by Saint Luke and established Latinos, who robbed the monastery.
Prince of Achaia Geoffrey II Villehardouin, plundered the remaining treasures and carried them to Rome. During the Ottoman occupation from 1460, where Biotia subjugated by the Turks until the day of liberation the monastery fought for its existence. In 1943 again it suffered from German invaders. But already, the Archaeological Service and Archaeological Society began from 1938, restoration of the Bank and other buildings of the monastery and cleaned the mosaics and frescoes.